Friday, September 08, 2006

Back to my Novel

OK, so I've completely digressed from the main reason for this blog -- seeking inspiration for my novel. I get sidetracked by my continuing outrage with the current administration, the weakness of the Democratic party (why don't they fight back, for god's sake?!), and my issues with faith and politics.

But back to writing. I met a woman ( a Rhode Islander, one of my people, yeah!) online this week through a mutual friend, who has self-published two novels, won an award for one of them, and is now teaching other aspiring writers how to do the same. She edits and critiques manuscripts, conducts writing classes, and offers seminars in self-publishing and how to turn your writing into a business, as she has. I love her!

Just having a few e-conversations with her has inspired me to get back to my story and stick to some kind of routine. After all, I can't show her my chapters if I haven't written them. So here I go. Check out her website -- she's amazing. Yeah Hannah!

http://www.hannahrgoodman.com/index.php

1 comment:

Hannah R. Goodman said...

Karen your posting on my blog was a friggin' slap in the face of reality. You are absolutely correct that I need to quit my bitchin' and be grateful for what I have accomplished. But as all us writers know...occasionally the ego will get in the way. Shame on me and good for you for calling me on it....albeit with more tact than I just described! Plus I love that you “sweat me”. Well, I adore you and we haven’t even met!

Back to self-publishing and publishing and authorship: there is some truth to the idea that as we accomplish one goal, we want to move to the other. So, when I moaned and groaned about the signing and the class not filling (by the way, I shot an email out to all my students and clients and now that class is filling up!) I was really saying, sh-t, I want this all to GROW not wither away.

So, I think part of growing for me is selling more books, reaching more people. I am in a place where I am ready to be a mainstream published author. That has always been my goal. Not everyone who self-publishes has the same dream…some consciously choose it because they DON’T want the mainstream, they want total control.

Quite frankly, I have a lot of stuff I am in total control over and I would LOVE to get a LITTLE bit of help in the publishing part of what I do. iUniverse, the company I went through is pretty terrific in terms of distribution and a little marketing but ultimately it is on me…FINANCIALLY it is hard. I want the backing of a very large publisher because quite frankly I have a series of YA books that I know appeals to a large section of readers young and old and I want to sell them and make a living or part of one off of it. I am no longer ashamed to say that I am an artist and a businesswoman!
Anyway, Karen, keep on writing! Can't wait to read your stuff!