Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Ran a Marathon Today!

26.2 miles baby, yes I did! It was the most beautiful, cool, crisp fall day, not a cloud in the sky. We started at 6:35 a.m. and I finished about 10 -15 minutes after Jane at 12:05. I can't believe I did it, and it was just NOT that bad. I felt healthy and well prepared and just did it. My feet and lower legs were really sore but now I feel great.

Maddie's getting ready for homecoming so I'm taking her to another girl's house for pictures and then was gonna come home, have a quiet night and watch a movie with Ginny. (Pancho and Cassie are at Nickie's family weekend at Elon.) Jane said, "You mean you're not going out to celebrate with some drinks? That's what I'm doing."

I suddenly realized, duh, I could brag about this all night! And as anyone who knows me is aware, I am not exactly one to hide my light under a bushel, so I have reconsidered. Drinkypoos (possibly free ones due to my amazing achievement!) at someplace fun are definitely now in the plan...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so PROUD of you! As I have said numerous times before I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

There is something about growing older that makes us more determined than ever to dig our heels in and do that thing we think we cannot do [Eleanor Roosevelt]. After all who knows how much time we really have left to accomplish all of the things we need to accomplish?

There is something about turning 50 years old which reminds us that our time is limited. One of my favorite sayings is : It's all about discipline. And one of my very favorite slogans is Nike's JUST DO IT! That hits home now more than ever. I don't think the younger set really gets it [and yes, youth IS wasted on the young!]

I've notice the trend among people our age to leave their places of employment working for the man to embark on their own adventure and join the ranks of the Self employed. THIS is an accomplishment in itself. Having the courage to make a CHANGE and do it on your own. This does take discipline along with hard work and determindation to succeed. You've done THAT too!

So Karen I'm proud that you are Just doing the thing you thought you could not do....even though I knew you could do it all along!
You GO girlfriend.

KB Concepts PR said...

Thanks, Gin! I owe it all to you, who set me on this road to fitness several years ago, and to Jane, who walked me through this long and very effective training program. I just got up and I'm not even sore today -- unbelievable.