Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Mile High on Life





Achewa -- Sitting here at my laptop, at the big, smooth wood-slat table that Michael made by hand, on Buffalo Trail way high up on the ridge in Somers, Montana, gazing out across Flathead Lake to the Swann and Mission mountains, and life is good. I hate to brag (yeah, right! I hear a chorus shouting), and I'm sorry if this makes anyone else feel bad about themselves and wish they were here too (laughing heartlessly), but I simply can't contain my joy and just plain happiness every time I look out the window onto this amazing vista.

I dont know why it is, I honestly don't have a clue where this came from, but I feel so peaceful and calm and RIGHT when I am here -- I feel creative and energized and every moment, no matter what I am doing, I actually live in the now, which is normally very hard for me. This place is totally Power of Now!

I just got back from running, and it was a little scary because I saw a big horned animal of some sort dash up a hillside in the woods as I approached. Was it running from me? or from the mountain lions Jane saw in her yard twice last week? I had a can of bear spray with me, but everyone knows mountain lions stalk their prey -- from behind -- and they enjoy it! At that point I decided to turn around and go back the way I came, where other houses were, and hopefully people. I'd forgotten my cell phone and had visions of being found by someone in a pickup truck hours from now, a bloody carcass by the side of the rutted dirt road. Yes, roll your eyes and call me a drama queen if you must, but mountain lions are no joke!

The photos are of the Going to the Sun Road, an incredible ride that snakes up 35 miles to Logan Pass at the top of Glacier, and is only open in the summer because of high winds, falling boulders and avalanches. Lucky for me -- lots of lucky things seem to happen here -- they opened it up last Saturday because the weather was so beautiful. It has been sunny, clear and warm all week -- really unusual and everyone here is thrilled about it.

I now have to finish a couple of scenes in the novel before my workshop starts tomorrow. Liza is scheming her next rendezvous with Henry, and Brian is preparing for a difficult meeting with the lawyers who are handling his case against the priest who abused him. They're all rattling around noisily in my head. Henry is actually starting to stamp his feet -- he can't wait to get his hands on Liza again. Brian is so nervous he's making me sick to my stomach, so I'm gonna do exactly what Hannah R. Goodman says: just vomit it up, get it all out, and worry about the mess on the page later. (See Hannah, I do listen!)

Then I'm headed to the last farmers market of the season in Whitefish, which has live music and is more like a street festival. Joanie, Jane, Alice and I are getting things for a dinner Jane and Alice are throwing here tomorrow night for various friends, environmentalists, conservationists and a few musicians, including Jack Gladstone -- check him out at http://www.jackgladstone.com/. He's Blackfeet Indian and I watched him record his new CD yesterday, The Heart of Montana -- at a studio here in Somers, which was really fun. The national Christmas tree is from Montana this year, and Jack is performing at the lighting in DC in early December. Of course we're gonna have a party for him, so stay tuned!

No comments: