Monday, December 22, 2008

Music P.S.

I saw two good shows this weekend: Oasis and Ryan Adams at the Patriot Center Saturday night and Last Train Home yesterday at Iota. Ryan Adams was quirky and funny (and good), and Oasis was LOUD.

I was thinking -- from my excellent seats in the third row on the right (thanks, D.O.!) -- that that volume of noise can not be good for your ears. So I made some tissue-paper ear plugs and then enjoyed the show. The lead singer is really full of himself but the music was fun, especially the only two songs of theirs I actually know: Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova.

Last Train Home was awesome, as usual, and their Sunday afternoon gig at Iota was a nice way to kick off this last crazy week before the holiday. I also hope to hear them out at the Flathead Lake Brewing Company in Big Fork, Montana in 2009. They've played there before and say they're planning to again -- that would be a blast.

And finally, my all time favorite band this year, Old Crow Medicine Show, will be on the Conan O'Brien show Tuesday, Dec. 23rd, at 12:35 a.m. They're also doing two shows at the John Paul Jones Arena at UVA on April 17th and 18th -- they're opening for the Dave Matthews Band. If you can see them, do it -- they are the shit, as Nickie would say.

No comments: