Monday, January 22, 2007

Shooting the Moon

I finally met my guru, Hannah Goodman, at a writing workshop in Rhode Island this weekend. She's the bomb! It was a fantastic class where Hannah helped me and four other women get unblocked and "release the writer within." We would do various exercises and then write, then share what we wrote, and then do another one. The stuff the other women wrote was amazing, and the words just came pouring out on the pages, exactly as Hannah promised they would. She is truly a muse! I was so psyched when I left, and ready to plunge in and finish my novel. I start an online course with Hannah next week called Finish Your Novel in 12 Weeks -- yeah!

Here's one of the things I wrote on Saturday. It was for an exercise in writing the way you talk, which I've tried to do since my first job many years ago as a radio reporter who idolized Charles Osgood. His kickers (final news item in each broadcast) were great.

So the other day I had this amazing realization, an epiphany. I've been so frustrated lately trying to figure out -- or define -- or to NAME really -- what I'm feeling and what I'm looking for in my life as my kids grow up and I head toward the big 5-0. And as I daydreamed about something completely unrelated, it hit me: that it's a lot like a game of Hearts.

Because with Hearts, there is always the possibility -- however remote or unlikely -- there is the hope, the actual possibility of shooting the moon. You may get the queen -- and you're always scared you're gonna get the queen -- but so what? Maybe you will get the queen, because life is full of risks, and then you'll realize you just might be able to shoot the moon, and so you try. Usually you fail, and get stuck with tons of points. But once in a great while -- maybe once in a lifetime even -- you really do shoot the moon, and it's awesome!

That's what I want, what I need in my life. I want to feel that passion. I want to go for it. I want to know that there IS the possibility -- however unlikely -- that I can shoot the moon.

Because really, if there isn't, what fun would Hearts be anyway? That game wouldn't be any fun at all if you couldn't shoot the moon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I understand the intent behind your analogy of shooting the moon in actuality shooting the moon is quite the opposite.

Shooting the moon is an exercise in patience and opportunism. Waiting for the right combination of dealt cards and knowing the tables passing habits. Then and this is the exciting part - manipulating the play to make it appear as if you are not shooting the moon. And then pouncing!So instead of hope it is planning and cunning that highten the level of excitement.

So you haven't even turned fifty yet and aleady you are having a mid-life crisis!! A bit early for that - You probaly still have forty good years ahead of you.