Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Off to Haiti

Ok, so I'm leaving tomorrow and running around frantically trying to get ready. This because instead of having the two previous days as well, I came down with a vile, nasty bug the likes of which I've never seen before. I'm better now but still am barely eating, am actually a little afraid of food. If you don't know me, I have a very close and almost lustful relationship with food, I devote a not insignificant amount of my time to either thinking about it, planning for it, or enjoying it. It is one of life's great pleasures, IMHO. Not the greatest, mind you, but right up there in the top two or three.

But not today. Yesterday was toast and tea, today I'm tiptoing around foods that seem harmless, and even they lose their appeal after a bite or two. This is so weird! Alors, on to more interesting topics.

I've had some really nice phone conversations today. I always like to talk to special people before I leave on a trip. It makes me happy to hear their voices, touch base one last time, and then go on my way. I think they're a little nicer to me too, just in case, right? -- laughing -- you never know, you don't want to forget to call and then have somebody's plane crash -- yikes. But that's the mom in me, I'm sure...

I just got a call from a friend who got the guy at the local soccer store to donate several uninflated soccer balls to Medor -- exactly what the kids want! Plus I'm bringing a suitcase full of recorders, tin whistles, harmonicas, two keyboards, a drum, and 24 matching blue pleated skirts from another friend's daughter's high school play with 24 matching tops -- school chorus or band, oui? And another suitcase full of gently-used adult size running shoes.

Now all I have to do is fit all my crap, including sheets and a towel, into my backpack and carry-on bag. This will surely be the most challenging aspect of the entire trip!

So no internet and no blogging while I'm gone, alas. Please dear readers, post a comment or two -- something inspirational or funny or whatever you feel like. Surprise me!

3 comments:

Fun E said...

Karen-You have been gone for almost a week. We miss you terribly and hope that you are expediting all your bleeding heart crap so you can hurry on back to the land of "I got mine how'd you make out?" The real travesty is that you missed one of the most revered holidays known to pastey immigrants from days gone by - St. Patty's Day! Gin, Andrew and I had to down several black and tan's in your honour no less! Okay Andrew and I did anyhow.

Well I hope you are making a dent in the cesspool of Third World Hell and that your stomach is cooperating. I can't wait to hear all the gory details on Saturday after your marathon-you really are a glutton for punishment! To overcome all your ill-perceived shortcomings, therapy and meds might be easier you know.

KB Concepts PR said...

Aw, thanks Ev -- I missed you too! I will post all the gory details as soon as I finish downloading my pictures. It was incredible, and incredibly challenging. I have to talk about it at church tomorrow and will struggle not to bawl like a baby in front of the whole congregation. A veritable storm of emotions and impressions -- oh, what a world.

Anonymous said...

you took a DRUM in your suitcase? GO GIRL!

R