Sunday, April 15, 2007

Atheists Unite!

Julia Sweeney was on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me today. She's the actress from Saturday Night Live who created the funny gender neutral character Pat. She also has a play called, "Letting Go of God" about her journey from Catholic childhood to atheism. We should be pals! AND, she tours with Jill Sobule, a singer/songwriter who I saw at the Birchmere last year and just love -- their show is called Jill and Julia. Check out her website and blog...see my nifty new links section on the bottom right of this page. I updated my blog today to add new features; being technologically retarded, however, we'll see how that goes...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard that. It was excellent. Although she didn't like to call herself and athiest. I can't remember the phrase she used.
Like you, she's a very interesting person.

KB Concepts PR said...

I actually like the term atheist, although it seems to get people riled up. Maybe that's why I like it! I think what I am is someone who doesn't believe in any kind of omnipotent, singular god, or in belonging to an organized religion that is susceptible to all the normal human corruptions.

I believe in nature, evolution, beauty, that we're all in this together, and that we should take care of the planet and each other, especially the poor. I'm against war and violence as a way to solve problems. I'm against nations vying for power and control. I'm against oppression and discrimination in all its forms.

I think if there is any kind of thing that we can call god, it's humans' desire to do the right and good thing, and to strive for perfection and unity. Whatever that means.

So if that's not an atheist, we need to come up with a good name for it. Any suggestions?