Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Haiti Wahoo Style

So things are looking good on the Haiti front. First, I met Pere Leroy, the parish priest and de facto mayor of the village we are going to. I attended a couple of meetings with him and translated for him at mass Saturday evening. He's awesome -- very funny, charming and handsome! Not to mention practically a saint for devoting his entire life to improving the lot of the people of Medor for the past 8 years. I can't wait to talk to him about my problems with the church and newfound freethinking ways -- that oughtta pass the time, huh?!

Also, I happened to mention my little issue with using a spider-infested latrine at night, and asked him specifically where the convent was in relation to the rectory, to see if I could get there easily with a flashlight. And guess what -- he had no idea we were planning to stay in the convent and insisted we all stay at the rectory with him and his flush toilet. So no nighttime prowls for me -- yeah!

Next, a couple that is coming on the trip have refused to stay overnight in Port au Prince because of the kidnappings. We decided to stay just one night near the airport because our plane gets in too late to make it to the end of the road to Medor before dark, and also to meet with the Unicef guy we've asked for money for the water project. Instead, we're driving two hours outside the city and staying overnight at "Club Wahoo" -- a tropical resort on the beach that used to be a Club Med! And now we have to stay there one night on the way back too, so we can meet with the Unicef guy at the airport the next morning before leaving.

I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand I am totally psyched for the whole "roughing it" thing. While I love to exercise and play outside, I'm not what you'd call outdoorsy, like a camper, say. So I've been really excited about challenging myself that way. In fact, I'm wearing my cool new hiking boots right now, trying to break them in slowly. (And of course, it WILL go slowly if I sit here and type instead of actually walking around in them, ha ha.) I'm also semi-ashamed to admit that I'm looking forward to wearing my cool new hiking pants, which unzip to make shorts. If you know me you know this isn't exactly my fashion style, but in the right setting I think they'll be perfect. Yes, I'm afraid I can be that shallow.

On the other hand, I suspect the comforts and luxuries -- hot showers! -- of Club Wahoo will be a sight for sore eyes after six days without such niceties. I'm pretty sure I won't be complaining then.

And finally, all this thinking about Haiti and meeting Pere Leroy has given me a fabulous idea for my next novel -- a sequel! I've been appointed the trip scribe, with responsiblity for chronicling all of our work, meetings and experiences. But mingled in with test results of e-coli content in water sources and the first-hand account of a little boy who literally walks for two hours each way barefoot to Medor every day so he can attend school and get a hot meal, will be the seeds of Liza's next journey. Still 40-something (the great thing about novels is you can let your favorite characters never grow old) and still searching for meaning in her safe, suburban existence, she'll go on a mission trip that just might change her life. It'll include my favorite religious themes of course and maybe even a scandalous liaison with a handsome priest -- wahoo is right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is even more 'ironic' considering we know how your trip turned out...and reading about your pants and your boots...it's no wonder we get along because we share a similar quirky sense of humor that makes life just THAT much more entertaining - because after all - why the heck not!!!
You crack me up and I will read your novel, I love a good twist and who would EVER suspect a priest of a legitimate hetero relationship/fling! You should incorporate into that some type of jealous nun twist just to REALLY confuse people. OH, or maybe the photojournalist that is following her around could be secretly in love with the ruggedly handsome priest and try to kill her for having a fling with 'his man'.
Ok I'll stop now LOL!!